Wednesday 24 August 2016

Could We Travel At The Speed of Light And Beyond?

How To Travel Beyond The Speed of Light

A Laymans Theory

So how do I start? Well I'll start by admitting that I'm probably going to make a fool of myself but here goes.

My little discovery began whilst thinking about the Universe. I had it pictured in my minds eye and I could scan from end to end in a couple of seconds. The thought that entered my mind was that I can scan the whole universe (well the milky way as viewed from earth), in just seconds. A journey that takes light, millions of years to make. 
But the explanation is simple, its just the because of the distance I am away from the milkyway that allowed me to scan it so quickly. 
Then I had this idea. If I were a single point in space and had an object attached to me which was several million miles away I would only have to make only a quarter of a turn to make the object I was attached to travel at incredible speed. 
Now I am no scientist and I appreciate that we havent got a piece of string that long. So I started downsizing.

My theory is simple and I hope my maths is ok, so here goes.
For this theory I need:
1. An object that can remain stationary whilst spinning one full revolution in 1 second.
2. A 1 foot attaching arm
3. A model of a satellite.

Attach one end of the attaching arm to the satellite and the other to the spinning object.
The spinning object will now cause the satellite to rotate at a speed of 6.28319 feet per second. 
Now if we were to extend the arm to a mile, the satellite would now be spinning at 6.28319 miles per second or 22,619.484 mph.
Increase the speed of the spin to 10 miles and the object now has a speed of 62.8319 of miles per second or 226.194.84mph. Fast enought to get you to Mars in 6 days as opposed to the current 7 months.
Now to get to the speed of light just keep increasing the rotation of the spin or the length of the connector until light speed or beyond (Im no scientist so exceeding the speed of light is easy for me) is achieved.
To achieve the speed of light which is 182,282mps you'd need an attaching arm which is 2,901 miles long and spun at 10x per second. 
The rest of it is for the engineers to figure out.
When can we build it?


No comments:

Post a Comment